Developer: Design Science
Latest Release: 6.8 (Windows), 6.7 (Mac OS)
Operating System: Windows, Mac OS
MathType is a powerful interactive equation editor for Windows and Mac OS that lets you create mathematical notation for word processing, web pages, desktop publishing, presentations, elearning, and for TeX, LaTeX and MathML documents.
MathType works with 100s of applications and websites, allowing you to put equations everywhere and anywhere.
MathType give you more ways to create equations. The following are just a few highlights of what the you can do:
- Entering math by hand: Enter equations as easily as you would write math with paper and pencil! This feature uses the built-in handwriting recognition in Windows 7.
- Point-and-click editing with automatic formatting: Create equations quickly by choosing templates from MathTypes palettes and typing into their empty slots. MathType applies mathematical spacing rules automatically as you type.
- Keyboard shortcuts: Save time using keyboard shortcuts. MathType has customizable keyboard shortcuts for virtually every symbol, template and command.
- Type TeX or LaTeX: If you already know the TeX typesetting language, you can enter equations directly into MathType or Microsoft Word documents. TeX editing can be mixed with point-and-click editing so you get the best of both worlds. You can even paste in equations from existing TeX documents.
- Copy-and-paste: If you created your equation in another application or found one on a website, why take the time to create it by hand again? Simply copy-and-paste it directly into MathType, and it is ready to edit or use in your work.
- Save expressions in the toolbar: Drag frequently used equations and expressions to the MathType toolbar so they can be inserted later with just a click or a keystroke.
- Find symbols: MathTypes Insert Symbol dialog allows you to explore the available symbols and insert them with a click or keystroke.
- Color: Use color to highlight part of an equation and focus your audiences attention on just the portions you want. Show what changed in each step of a multi-step procedure and make those equations really come to life.
- More fonts: MathType has hundreds more symbols and templates than Equation Editor. Besides our exclusive Euclid™ math fonts, you can also make use of the 1000s of math symbols in fonts already on your computer, as well as other math fonts you can download from the Internet.
New features in 6.8 (for Windows users)
Here are some of the major new features in MathType 6.8:
- Works with 64-bit Microsoft Office 2010: If you e planning on switching to 64-bit Office, then you need MathType 6.8 for Windows.
- Compatibility with 600+ applications and websites: Posterous, Quora, and 40+ other applications and websites join Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, Mathematica and hundreds of others that work with MathType.
- Paste a table from a spreadsheet, document, or web page into MathType as a matrix:MathType lets you copy a table from a spreadsheet (e.g. Excel), document (e.g. Word), or web page, and paste it into MathType as a matrix.
- MathPage for Word 2010 and 2007: Our MathPage™ technology now converts Microsoft Word 2010 and 2007 documents into web pages, properly handling mathematical symbols. Will also display properly for people with print disabilities.
- Authoring for accessibility: As part of our work with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and others in the accessibility community, we have made a number of improvements in MathType so that it is more useful for authoring content to be read by people with various print disabilities, such as blindness, low vision, and learning disabilities. Our new Exact Speech command overrides the speech automatically generated by MathPlayer for a selected expression or symbol. This is important in a number of situations, such as in assessment where the automatically generated speech text might give away the answer.
In addition, MathType 6.8 equations are compatible with MathType 6.x and 5.x equations so you can continue to work with other MathType users even if they haven upgraded yet. When you upgrade to MathType 6.8 any changes youve made in your installed version of MathType, including keyboard shortcuts, toolbars, preferences, etc. will be retained.
New features in 6.7 (for Mac OS users)
Virtually all MathType features are enhanced in each major release. Here are some major new features in MathType 6.7:
- Mac OSX 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion support: MathType now supports Mac OS X 10.4.9 Tiger or later, including version 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion.
- Apple iWork 9 support: Apple has picked MathType as its equation editor. If MathType is installed, a MathType Equation item appears on the Insert menu in all three iWork applications: Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.
- Microsoft Office 2011 support: MathType brings back its full functionality, including equation numbering, within Word 2011. MathType is also compatible with Office 2008.
- Type TeX/LaTeX directly into a Microsoft Word document: If you already know the TeX typesetting language, you can enter equations quickly using that language in either the MathType editing window or directly into a Word document using the new TeX Toggle command.
- Copy spreadsheet cells and word processing tables into MathType as matrices: MathType lets you copy and paste a range of cells in Excel or Numbers, or a table in Word or Pages, and paste it into the equation you are working on as a matrix. This saves you time by avoiding typing and mistakes due to missing decimal points or dropped digits.
- MathType works with 500+ applications and websites:Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, Mac Mail, Microsoft Outlook, Mathematica, Maple, InDesign, QuarkXpress, Blackboard, Moodle, WebAssign, Wikipedia, Wolfram Alpha, Google Docs and Evernote – just to name a few!
MathType is fully compatible with all the latest Microsoft Windows operating systems, including Windows 7, Vista and XP. RAM and hard disk requirements are minial.
MathType 6.8 for Windows works with Microsoft Office 2010 (both 32- and 64-bit), 2007, 2003 & 2002 (XP).
MathType’s system requirements are not substantial:
- Mac OS 10.4.9 Tiger or later, including 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion
- Works with Office 2011 & 2008, iWork 9 & 500+ other applications and websites
- Universal application: 100% Intel & Power PC Mac compatible
- 35 MB free hard disk space
MathType for Windows and Mac OS are fully compatible. In addition, Microsoft Word documents containing MathType equations can be easily shared between them.